Section- English Comprehension Held on: August 27, 2016
1. In the following question, out of four alternatives, choose the word which best express the meaning of given word.
Answer: (2) Cure-all
Answer: (3) Adore
3. Four words are given, out of which only one word is spelt correctly. choose the correctly spelt word.
Answer: (1) Debilitate
Direction (4-6): The sentence given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word (s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative.
4. What a _______ holiday!
Answer: (2) memorable
5. Many important project have reached the final stage of.
Answer: (4) implementation
6. __________ you live long!
Answer: (2) May
Direction(7-9): In the following questions, some parts of the sentence have error and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is your answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is No error.
7. Each of the girl (1)/ have come (2)/ with her books. (3)/ No error (4)
Answer: (2) have come
8. Me and my wife (1)/ were at home (2)/ last night. (3)/ No error (4)
Answer: (1) Me and my wife
9. Essay writing is an art (1)/ that requires many planning (2)/ on the part of the writer. (3)/ No error (4)
Answer: (2) that requires many planning
Direction (10-12): In these questions, four alternative are given for the idiom/ phrase printed in bold. choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase given in bold.
10. Caught red handed
(1) Caught by mistake
(2) Caught with a red-handkerchief
(3) Found wounded
(4) Discovered in the act of doing
11. Gate Crasher
(3) Uninvited Guest
12. To angle
(1) To measure the river breadth
(2) To fish with a net
(3) To fish
(4) To sit and watch the river
Directions (13-15): In each of the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences.
13. Favouritism shown by a person in power to his relatives
14. A round-about way of expression
15. Suitable or intended for only young persons
Directions (16-20): In each of the following questions, a sentence/part of the sentence is printed in Bold. Four alternatives are given to the bold part which will improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, select option corresponding to "No improvement".
16. Each self is unique, and therefore cannot be compared.
(2) Non comparable
(4) No improvement
17. Shall I sit between you at the concert?
(4) No improvemt
18. No one other reason than poverty is hampering India's progress.
(1) No other
(2) None other
(3) No another
(4) No improvement
19. The custom has took root in the society.
(1) taken root
(2) take root
(3) takes root
(4) No improvement
20. We will take care of your children when you are away at Mumbai.
(1) be looking for
(2) look after
(3) take care after
(4) No improvemnt
Directions (21-25): A passage is give with five questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternatives.
My brother, David, was always close to our grandmother. Both of them shared a love of Mother Nature and of food that they had grown themselves. Whenever his schedule permitted, he would drop in for a short visit and a cup of coffee. One day, when he found no one home, he left a chunk of dirt on her porch. This started what was later to be known as his "calling card". Grandmother would come home occasionally and instantly know that Dave had been by when she spotted the chunk of dirt on her porch.
Although Grandmother had a poor upbringing in Italy, she managed to do well in the United States. She was always healthy and independent and enjoyed a fulfilling life. Recently she had a stroke and died. Everyone one was saddened by her death. David was disconsolate. His life-long friend was now gone.
21. What is the opposite of the word 'disconsolate'?
22. David would drop in for a short visit and leave a ______ as a sign on grandma's porch if she was not at home.
(2) chunk of dirt
(3) calling card
(4) cup of coffee
23. Grandmother used to be
(1) rich in Italy but poor in United States
(2) in the United States but is now in Italy
(3) poor earlier but became rich later on
(4) rich earlier but now poor
24. Grandmother enjoyed a _____ life.
(1) healthy but sickly
(2) good and healthy
(3) rich but sickly
(4) poor and healthy
25. Grandmother's death made everyone
(1) sad including David
(2) disconsolate excluding David
(3) happy and disconsolate
(4) sad excluding David