(a) land assigned to religious personnel for spiritual
(b) land revenue from different territorial units assigned to army officers
(c) charity for educational and cultural activities
(d) the rights of the Zamindar
Answer: (b) land revenue from different territorial units assigned to army officers
Explanation: Iqta was Islamic practice of tax farming that was introduced by Iltutmish in Delhi Sultanate. It was basically grant of revenue from territory in lieu of salary. this grant was not hereditary.
1. Razia Sultan was the Fourth Mamulk Sultan.
2. She was the only woman ruler during both the Sultanate and the Mughal Period.
3. She established complete law and order under her rule.
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) All of the above
Answer: (c) 2 and 3
3. Which one of the following pairs does not form part of the six systems of Indian philosophy? (IAS, 2014)
(a) Mimamsa and Vedanta
(b) Nyaya and Vaisheshika
(c) Lokayata and Kapalika
(d) Samkhya and Yoga
Answer: (c) Lokayata and Kapalika
4. Which of the following kingdoms were associated with the life of Buddha? (IAS, 2014)
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2 and 4
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 1, 3 and 4
Answer: (c) 3 and 4
5. Which empire did Nicolo de Conti, Abdur Razzaq, Afanasy Nikitin and Fernao Nuniz visit? (CDS, 2015)
(a) The empire of Kannauj
(b) Vijayanagara empire
(c) Hoysala empire
(d) Rashtrakuta empire
Answer: (b) Vijayanagara empire
6. Which of the following was not known during the Rigvedic period?
(a) Joint family system
(c) Varna System (caste)
(d) Marriage System
Answer: (b) Agriculture
7. Vande mataram was first sung at the session of Indian National Congress in :
Answer: (c) 1896
8. Seleucus Nicator was defeated by (SSC, 2012)
(b) Chandragupta Mayura
(c) Bindu Sara
Answer: (b) Chandragupta Mayura
9. In the Gupta age, Varahamihira wrote the famous book, 'Brihat Samhita'. It was a treatise on (CDS, 2013)
(c) ayurvedic system of medicine
Answer: (a) astronomy
Explanation: Brihat Samhita covers wide ranging subjects of human interests, including astrology, planetary movements, eclipses, rainfalls, clouds, grown of the crops, manufacture of perfume, gems, pearls and rituals.
10. The Chola king who permitted the Sailendras to build monastery in Nagapattinam:
Answer: (b) Rajaraja
11. The first fort which the British Constructed in India was :
(a) Hooghly Fort
(b) St George Fort
(c) Agra Fort
(d) St David Fort
Answer: (b) St George Fort
12. Who founded the Vikramasila University?
Answer: (c) Dharmapala
13. Which of the following statement(s) regarding Mahatma Gandhi's philosophy of Satyagraha is/are correct? (CDS, 2010)
1. Truth and non-violence are its two vital ingredients.
2. The followers of Satyagraha would resist evil but not hate the evil doer.
3. The Satyagrahi would, if necessary, inflict suffering on himself, and also the evil doer.
select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2 and 3
(c) Only 1
(d) 1 and 2
Answer: (d) 1 and 2
14. The famous Bhakti Saint who belonged to the royal family of Mewar was (SSC, 2012)
15. Mahmud of Ghazni attacked India mainly :
(a) to plunder the wealth of India
(b) to establish his empire
(c) to spread Islam in India
(d) to take the famous artisans of India to his court
Answer: (a) to plunder the wealth of India
16. Vijayanagra which was founded inthe fouteenth century, was the name of :
(a) a city
(b) an empire
(c) both a city and an empire
(d) neither city nor an empire
Answer: (c) both a city and an empire
17. Consider the following statements
1. Robert Clive was the first Governor-General of Bengal
2. William Bentinck was the first Governor-General of India.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Answer: (b) Only 2
18. Who among the following rejected the title of 'Knighthood' and refused to accept a position in the Council of the Secretary of State for India? (IAS, 2008)
(a) Motilal Nehru
(b) MG Ranade
(c) GK Gokhale
(d) BG Tilak
Answer: (c) GK Gokhale
19. Where was the First Session of the Indian National Congress held in December, 1885? (IAS, 2008)
Answer: (b) Bombay
20. Kalchakra ceremony is associated with which of the following religions?
Answer: (b) Buddhism