Answer: (b) Mahanadi
(a) Andes Mountains
(d) Pyreness Mountains
Answer: (b) Himalayas
3. Asia has large areas of inland drainage. Why is it so?
(a) Rainfall is seasonal and scanty
(b) There is a number of intermontane plateaus
(c) River channels are obstructed by lava flows
(d) It is a very large continent
Answer: (a) Rainfall is seasonal and scanty
4. Which one among the following is not a Baltic nation?
Answer: (b) Slovakia
5. Which one of the following mountain ranges separates Europe from Asia?
(b) Black Forest
Answer: (c) Ural
6. Which of the following elements are found in highest and lowest quantities respectively in the crust of the Earth?
(a) Oxygen and silicon
(b) Calcium and sodium
(c) Sodium and megnesium
(d) Oxygen and magnesium
Answer: (d) Oxygen and magnesium
7. Which of the following sets of elements was primarily responsible for the origin of life on the Earth? (IAS, 2012)
(a) Hydrogen, oxygen, sodium
(b) Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen
(c) Oxygen, calcium, phosphorus
(d) Carbon, hydrogen, potassium
Answer: (b) Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen
8. Which one of the following is the characteristic climate of the Tropical Savannah Region?
(a) Rainfall throughout the year
(b) Rainfall in winter only
(c) An extremely short dry
(d) A definite dry and wet season
Answer: (d) A definite dry and wet season
9. The most important fishing grounds of the world are found in the regions where
(a) warm and cold atmospheric currents meet
(b) rivers drain out large amounts of freshwater into the sea
(c) warm and cold oceanic currents meet
(d) continental shelf is undulating
Answer: (c) warm and cold oceanic currents meet
10. Which one of the following pairs of islands is separated from each other by the 'Ten Degree Channel'? (IAS,2014)
(a) Andaman and Nicobar
(b) Nicobar and Sumatra
(c) Maldives and Lakshadweep
(d) Sumatra and Java
Answer: (a) Andaman and Nicobar
11. On the planet Earth, most of the fresh water exists as ice caps and glaciers. Out of the remaining fresh water, the largest proportion (IAS, 2013)
(a) is found in atmosphere as moisture and clouds
(b) is found in freshwater lakes and rivers
(c) exists as groundwater
(d) exists as soil moisture
Answer: (c) exists as groundwater
12. In India, which type of forest among the following occupies the largest area?
(a) Montane Wet Temperate forest
(b) Sub-tropical Dry Evergreen forest
(c) Tropical Moist Deciduous forest
(d) Tropical Wet Evergreen forest
Answer: (c) Tropical Moist Deciduous forest
13. Which city in India is the first use municipal wastes to generate power?
Answer: (d) Chennai
14. Equatorial regions experience
(a) warm and dry climate
(b) hot and humid climate
(c) wet and windy climate
(d) moderately pleasant climate
Answer: (b) hot and humid climate
15. The one who is engaged in scientific drawing of maps is called
Answer: (b) Cartographer
16. Which of the following is the main spice producer?
(a) Deccan trap
(b) Malabar coast
(c) Coromandel coast
(d) Sunderbans delta
Answer: (b) Malabar coast
17. Which of the following type of coal has the lowest proportion of volatile matter?
Answer: (d) Anthracite
18. Which country is known as the 'Cockpit of Europe'?
Answer: (a) Belgium
19. Which one of the following planets has no moon?
Answer: (c) Mercury
20. The famous 'Gir' forests are located in
Answer: (c) Gujarat