Compendium - World History
1. In 1986 the prime minister of which European country was assassinated on his way home from the cinema with his wife?
- Sweden (Ol of Palme)
2. Who was the first Windsor monarch of the UK?
- George V (reigned 1910-1936)
3. What was the nickname of President Duvalier of Haiti, who died in 1971?
- Papa Doc
4. Which battle of 1571 marked the end of the Ottoman naval supremacy in the Mediterranean?
- The Battle of Lepanto
5. Nearly how many years did it take Sir Francis Drake to complete the first circumnavigation of the globe in 1580?
- 3 Years
6. Name the most famous battle of 1346?
7. In 1979 which English art historian was exposed as a one-time Soviet spy and stripped of his knighthood?
- Anthony Blunt
8. Who led the Million Man March on Washington?
- Louis Farrakhan
9. In which year did the demolition of the Berlin Wall begin?
10. Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI created which principality in 1719?
11. Saloth Sar, born 19 May 1925, is better known by what name?
- Pol Pot
12. What tax was introduced in England and Wales in 1696 and repealed in 1851?- Window tax
13. Which book was published in London on April 25th, 1719?
- Robinson Crusoe
14. Who founded the Salvation Army in London, 1865?
- William Booth
15. Who designed Regent’s Park in London in 1811?
- John Nash
16. Southern Rhodesia became what country in 1980?
- Zimbabwe (The Independent Nation of Zimbabwe)
17. The first day of which battle was the worst day in the history of the British Army, which suffered 60,000 casualties?
- Battle of the Somme
18. Who became president after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln?
- Andrew Johnson
19. Which Egyptian president ordered the seizure of the Suez Canal in 1956? - President Nassar
20. Which city is normally accepted as being the ancient capital of Wessex?- - Winchester
21. In which year was the death of Queen Elizabeth I?
22. In 1297, at which battle did William Wallace defeat the English?
- Battle of Stirling Bridge
23. Who discovered the vaccination against smallpox in 1796?
- Edward Jenner
24. Which is the oldest University in the USA?
- Harvard (founded 1636, in Cambridge Massachusetts)
25. Who was the cult leader of the Waco Siege in 1993?
- David Koresh
26. Name the second largest city in Britain during the Black Death?
27. In which war was The Battle of Agincourt?
- Hundred Years War
28. Which English scholar, well known for his translation of the Bible into English, was executed in Antwerp in 1536?
- William Tyndale
29. Which country was first to operate an old age pension scheme?
- Germany (1891)
30. What Russian cleric was poisoned, shot and finally drowned on December 30, 1916?
31. In which European city did composer Richard Wagner die in 1883?
32. What nationality was Karl Marx?
33. What’s the better known name given to the Great Rising of 1381?
- The Peasants’ Revolt
34. The loss of Calais was during which queen’s reign?
- Mary I
35. What song, popular in the First World War, was written by George and Felix Powell?
- Pack up your Troubles in your Old Kit Bag
36. In which year did the Titanic sink?
37. What Apollo 13 astronaut contacted Mission Control with the words, “Houston, we’ve had a problem here..” ?
- Jack Swigert
38. Who commanded the British Expeditionary Force in World War One?-
- Field Marshal Douglas Haig
39. Which country did Britain fight in the War of Jenkins’s Ear?
40. What was the better known name of Charles I, the King of the Franks, who united most of Western Europe during the Middle Ages?
41. What was the name of the pandemic which killed over 1% of the world’s population in 1918?
- Spanish Flu
42. What was the name of Charles Lindbergh’s plane in which he completed the first non-stop solo trans-Atlantic flight?
- Spirit of St Louis (achieved in 1927)
43. Which comic strip animal devised by Otto Mesmer first appeared in 1931?
- Felix the Cat
44. What was the largest naval battle of the First World War?
45. In which year was Abraham Lincoln assassinated?
46. Omdurman, as in the Battle of Omdurman, is today a suburb of which African city?
47. In which military campaign did Lewis Halliday and Basil Guy win Victoria Crosses in 1900?
- The Boxer Rebellion
48. In which year was the Wall Street Crash?
49. The Battle of Balaclava is a famous battle in which war?
- The Crimean
50. In which French city was Joan of Arc put to death?