Compendium - Geography
1. Which layers of the atmosphere is in constant contact with the Earth’s surface?
2. Which is the layer just above the Troposphere?
3. What is thickness of the atmosphere?
- Upto a height of 960 k.m. from the Earth
4. The layer of the atmosphere which prevents them flow of the fatal ultra violet radiation from reaching the Earth:
5. What is the atmospheric layer immediately around the Earth is called?
7. What is the magnetic layer above the ionosphere?
8. What, in population terms, is the largest Spanish speaking country in the world?
9. In which country would you find both the rivers Oder and Vistula, which flow into the Baltic Sea?
10. What is the capital of Iran?
11. Lusitania was the Roman name for which EU country?
12. What are the two crown dependencies of the British Isles?
- Isle of Mann & Channel Isles
13. What name is given to the notorious tidal current in the Lofoten islands off northern Norway?
14. In which two countries is the third-highest mountain in the world?
- India and Nepal – Kanchenjunga
15. The Vinson Massif is the highest mountain of which continent?
16. What word meaning a low pressure belt of surface winds at the equator, can mean a bout of emotional depression?
17. Which is an important tribe of Dhauladhar range?
18. Lakshdweep island are the product of:
- Coral formation
19. Arkan Yoma is the extension of the Himalayas located in:
20. Willy-Willy is:
- A tropical cyclone of North-West Australia
21. The first three leading producer of iron ore in the world are:
- China, Russia, Australia
22. The Taylor Valley lies in:
- United State of America
23. The leading producer of copper in the world is:
24. The leading producer of Bauxite in the world are:
25. The biggest desert in the world:
26. The outer Himalayas lie between:
- The lesser Himalayas and the Indo-Gangetic plain
27. The Salal Project is on the river:
28. The only zone in the country that produce gold is also rich in iron is:
- Southern zone
29. The most ideal region for the cultivation of cotton in India is :
- The Deccan plateau
30. The Vernal Equinox occurs on:
- March 21
31. The city of Nasik is situated on the bank of river:
32. Kiel Canal connects:
- Baltic Sea and North Sea
33. The word ‘Bergschurnd’ is associated with the:
- Works of glacier
34. Aphelion position of the earth occurs on:
- July 4
35. Which state was previously known as NEFA?
- Arunachal Pradesh
36. The Kabul Lamjao, the only floating National Park in the world is in:
37. East West corridor comprising National Highways connects:
- Silchar to Porbander
38. Tapti river originates from:
- Satpura range
39. Which is a major port on the East Coast of India?
40. The main river flowing in the state of Jammu and Kashmir is :
41. Cordillera in USA is:
42. Which factors are responsible for present crisis in the jute industry in India?
- The decline in overseas market
43. The number of major port in India is:
44. Name a peninsular river of India?
45. From which district of Uttarakhand State was ‘Chipko Movement’ organized?
46. The largest estuary in India is at the mouth of the river:
47. Kaziranga is known for:
- One-horned Rhino
48. The largest postal network in the world is in:
49. Broken Hill Area of South West Australia is famous for:
- Zink and Lead
50. Geneva is leading seaport of: