Compendium - Computer Awareness
1. The two parts of a computer are:
- Hardware and Software
2. The Central Processor Unit (CPU) is a:
- Main chip on the computer that makes everything go.
3. What does RAM stands for?
- Random Acess memory
4. Using websites to pour out one's grievances is called:
- Cyber venting
5. In web search, finding a large number of documents with very little relevant information is termed:
- Poor recall
6. The concept of connect intelligence is derived from:
- Value added networks
7. Use of an ordinary telephone as an Internet applicance is called:
- Voice line
8. A normal CD-ROM usually can store up to ______ data?
- 680 MB
9. A device which is not connected to CPU is called ______?
- Offline device
10. A Mega = ?
- 1 Million
11. EEPROM stands for:
- Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory
12. Who developed the first electronic computer?
- J.V. Atansoff
13. Which programming languages are classified as low level languages?
- Assembly Language
14. The first web browser is__?
15. First page of Website is termed as:
16. IBM stands for:
- International Business Machines
17. Office LANS, which are scattered geographically on large scale, can be connected by the use of corporate__?
- WAN ( wide area network )
18. To move a copy of file from one computer to another over a communication channel is called?
- File Transfer
19. Large transaction processing systems in automated organisations use__?
- Batch Processing
20. MICR stands for:
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition
21. Who is the father of Computer science?
- Charles Babbage
22. A byte stores enough information for one
- Key stroke
23. In which type of computer, data are represented as discrete signals?
- Digital Computer
24. Scientific Name of Computer?
- Sillico sapiens
25. What is the name of the display feature that highlights are of the screen which requires operator attention?
- Reverse Video
26. Computers, combine both measuring and counting, are called__?
- Hybrid Computer
27. What is FORTRAN?
- Formula Translation
28. What translates and executes program at run time line by line?
29. What converts an entire program into machine language ?
30. Who is the father of personal computer?
- Edward Robert
31. Switching device of fifth generation computer is:
32. The unit KIPS is used to measure the speed of:
33. DOS stands for:
- Disk Operating System
34. What is a joy stick primarily in computers used for?
- Computer Gaming
35. In 1999, the Melissa virus was a widely publicised:
- E-mail virus
36. Which of the following commands is given to reboot the computer?
37. What is correcting errors in a program called ?
38. BCD is __?
- Binary Coded Decimal
39. What type of virus uses computer hosts to reproduce itself?
40. SMTP, FTP and DNS are applications of the ____ layer?
41. Name the two main components of the CPU?
- Control Unit and ALU
42. Which part of the CPU performs calculation and makes decisio?
- Arithematic Logic Unit
43. ASCII stands for?
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange
44. Megahertz measures:
45. CPU chip is made of:
- Flexible stack
46. Winchester disk means:
- Disk stack
47. A CPU's processing power is measured in:
48. A billionth of a second is defined as:
- Nano second
49. Laser printer uses:
50. ______ is internet address.