SSC Solved Paper - CGL (2014)
General Awareness (held on 19-10-2014)
Test Form No. 111RJ2
1. 'Kelp' is
(a) Sulphide mineral of Iron
(b) Partially decomposed vegetation
(c) Sea weed rich in iodine content
(d) An aluminium silicate mineral
Answer: (c) Sea weed rich in iodine content
2. Spot the odd item in the following :
Answer: (a) Basalt
3. What is farming along with animal husbandry called ?
(a) Mixed farming
(b) Mixed agriculture
(c) Dairy farming
(d) Truck farming
Answer: (b) Mixed agriculture
4. Hydraulic Action is a type of erosion caused by
(a) Running water
(d) None of these
Answer: (a) Running water
5. Which of the following is the newest geological era ?
Answer: (c) Cretaceous
6. The plant from which cocoa and chocolate are obtained is a
(c) small tree
(d) very big tree
Answer: (c) small tree
7. The biggest single-celled organism is
Answer: (b) Acetabularia
8. Crescograph was invented by
(a) S.N. Bose
(b) P.C. Roy
(c) J.C. Bose
(d) P.C. Mahalanobis
Answer: (c) J.C. Bose
9. Foramen Magnum is an aperture found in the
Answer: (d) Skull
10. Who betrayed Siraj-ud-Daula in the Battle of Plassey in 1757 ?
(a) Hyder Ali
(b) Mir Qasim
(c) Mir Jaffar
(d) Nawab of Oudh
Answer: (c) Mir Jaffar
11. 'Barr body' is found in
(b) Sertoli cells
(c) Female somatic cells
(d) Male somatic cells
Answer: (c) Female somatic cells
12. The colours of starts depend on their
(d) atmospheric pressure
Answer: (a) temperature
13. Light from the Sun reaches us in nearly
(a) 8 min
(b) 2 min
(c) 6 min
(d) 4 min
Answer: (a) 8 min
14. Radar is used to
(a) locate submerged submarines.
(b) receive signal from radio receivers.
(c) detect and locate distant objects.
(d) locate geostationary satellites.
Answer: (c) detect and locate distant objects.
15. Optical fibre works on the principle of
(d) total internal reflection
Answer: (d) total internal reflection
16. Which application in Microsoft Office is feasible for preparing presentations ?
(a) Microsoft Excel
(b) Microsoft Word
(c) Microsoft PowerPoint
(d) Microsoft Publishers
Answer: (c) Microsoft PowerPoint
17. The language which was used to build Internet Pages in the beginning of Internet Technology is
Answer: (b) HTML
18. Name the branch of Zoology that deals with the scientific study of animal behaviour.
Answer: (c) Ethology
19. The metal used for making aircrafts and rockets is
Answer: (b) Aluminium
20. The process of improving the quality of ribber by heating it with sulphur is called
Answer: (a) Vulcanization
21. Which source has been particularly fruitful in finding novel anti-tumour agents such as bryostatins and dolostatins ?
(a) Marine sources
(c) Venoms and toxins
(d) Combinatorial chemistry
Answer: (a) Marine sources
22. The pollutant responsible for ozone holes is .
Answer: (d) CFC
23. One of the best solutions to get rid of non-biodegradable wastes is
Answer: (d) Recycling
24. Vermicomposting is done by
Answer: (c) Worms
25. If waste materials contaminate the source of drinking water, which of the following diseases will spread ?
Answer: (b) Typhoid
26. India exports power to .
Answer: (a) Bangladesh
27. The alkaloid naturally found in coffee, cocoa and cola nut is
Answer: (d) Caffeine
28. Which vein brings clean blood from the lungs into the heart ?
(a) Renal Vein
(b) Pulmonary Vein
(c) Vena Cava
(d) Hepatic Vein
Answer: (b) Pulmonary Vein
29. The first woman President of Indian National Congress was
(a) Kamala Devi Chattopadhyaya
(b) Sarojini Naidu
(c) Annie Besant
(d) Rajkumari Amrit Kaur
Answer: (c) Annie Besant
30. Which State is the largest producer of pulses in India ?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: (c) Madhya Pradesh
31. In India, woman had never been a Chief Minister in the State of
(a) Tamil Nadu
(c) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (d) Maharashtra
32. Which of the following is not a noble gas ?
Answer: (a) Hydrogen
33. Sunda Trench is in
(a) Indian Ocean
(b) Pacific Ocean
(c) Atlantic Ocean
(d) Gulf of Mexico
Answer: (a) Indian Ocean
34. Which of the following is an organic rock ?
Answer: (b) Coal
35. Who among the following has written the famous book "Malgudi Days" ?
(a) V.S. Naipaul
(b) Deepak Chopra
(c) Rabindranath Tagore
(d) R.K. Narayan
Answer: (d) R.K. Narayan
36. British Crown assumed sovereignty over India from the East India Company in the year
Answer: (b) 1858
37. The Keynesian consumption function shows a relation between
(a) aggregate consumption and total population
(b) aggregate consumption and general price level
(c) aggregate consumption and aggregate income
(d) aggregate consumption and interest rate
Answer: (c) aggregate consumption and aggregate income
38. Over short period, when income rises, average propensity to consume usually
(c) remains constant
Answer: (b) falls
39. Average propensity to consume is defined as
(a) Aggregate consumption ÷ Total population
(b) Aggregate income ÷ Aggregate income
(c) Change in consumption ÷ Change in income
(d) Aggregate consumption ÷ Aggregate income
Answer: (d) Aggregate consumption ÷ Aggregate income
40. In short run, if a competitive firm incurs losses, it will
(a) stop production.
(b) continue to produce as long as it can cover its variable costs.
(c) raise price of its product.
(d) go for advertising campaign.
Answer: (b) continue to produce as long as it can cover its variable costs.
41. Which one of the following is the specific feature of the single member constituency system ?
(a) The system is economical for representatives.
(b) Gerrymandering is not possible in this system.
(c) It secures a stable majority in the legislature.
(d) The candidate has to spend less on electioneering.
Answer: (d) The candidate has to spend less on electioneering.
42. Which of the following relations always holds true ?
(a) Income = Consumption + Investment
(b) Income = Consumption + Saving
(c) Saving = Investment
(d) Income = Consumption + Saving + Investment
Answer: (b) Income = Consumption + Saving
43. Who speaks of Cabinet system as "the steering wheel of the ship of State" ?
Answer: (b) Muir
44. Who has called the Prime Minister primus inter pares (first among equals) ?
Answer: (a) Morely
45. 'There is no politics devoid of religion' is stated by
(c) Vinoba Bhave
(d) Jaya Prakash Narayan
Answer: (b) Gandhi
46. In which Rock Edict Ashoka mentions about the casualties of Kalinga War and declares the renunciation of war ?
(a) Maski Edict
(b) Rock Edict XIII
(c) Rock Edict XI
(d) Rock Edict X
Answer: (b) Rock Edict XIII
47. Akbar held his religious discussion in
(a) Jodhabai's Palace
(b) Panch Mahal
(c) Ibadat Khana
(d) Buland Darwaza
Answer: (c) Ibadat Khana
48. Who succeeded Guru Nanak ?
(a) Guru Angad
(b) Guru Ramdas
(c) Guru Arjan
(d) Guru Hargobind
Answer: (a) Guru Angad
49. The Earliest Settlements of Aryan tribes were at
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(c) Sapta Sindhu
Answer: (c) Sapta Sindhu
50. Who said, "Adolf Hitler is Germany and Germany is Adolf Hitler. He who pledges himself to Hitler pledges himself to Germany" ?
(a) R. Hess
(d) Communist International
Answer: (a) R. Hess