SSC Solved Paper - CHSL (LDC & DEO) 2014
General Awareness (held on 02-11-2014)
1. Winner of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2013
(a) Ela Bhatt
(b) Angela Merkel
(c) Lydia Davis
(d) Christina Legarde
Answer: (b) Angela Merkel
2. Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma is an exponent of
Answer: (b) Santoor
3. Moortidevi Award is given annually in which of the following fields ?
Answer: (a) Literature
4. Nobel Prizes are distributed annually at
(d) New York
Answer: (b) Stockholm
5. 'Freedom From Fear' is a book written by
(a) Benazir Bhutto
(b) Corazon Aquino
(c) Aung San Suu Kyi
(d) Nayantara Sehgal
Answer: (c) Aung San Suu Kyi
6. Who is the author of the book 'Nineteen Eighty Four' ?
(a) J.M. Barrie
(b) Walter Scott
(c) George Orwell
(d) Thomas Hardy
Answer: (c) George Orwell
7. The 28th Annual Lata Mangeshkar Samman Alankaran 2013 was conferred to
(a) Sonu Nigam
(b) Kailash Kher
(d) A.R. Rahman
Answer: (c) Hariharan
8. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port is located at
Answer: (c) Mumbai
9. How many islands are there in Lakshadweep ?
Answer: (c) 36
10. Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony 2013 has been given to
(a) Zubin Mehta
(b) Narendra Kohli
(c) Shalini Singh
(d) Arvind Aadiga
Answer: (a) Zubin Mehta
11. The theory of "Maximum Social Advantage" in Public Finance was given by
Answer: (d) Dalten
12. The value of investment multiplier relates to
(a) change in income due to change in autonomous investment.
(b) change in autonomous investment due to change in income.
(c) change in income due to change in consumption.
(d) change in the income due to change in induced investment.
Answer: (b) change in autonomous investment due to change in income.
13. The internal rate of return
(a) must be less than the interest rate if the firm is to invest.
(b) makes the present value of profits equal to the present value of costs.
(c) falls as the annual yield of an investment rises.
(d) is equal to the market interest rate for all the firm's investment.
Answer: (b) makes the present value of profits equal to the present value of costs.
14. As the number of investments made by a firm increases, its internal rate of return
(a) declines due to diminishing marginal productivity.
(b) declines because the market rate of interest will fall, ceteris paribus.
(c) increases to compensate the firm for the current consumption foregone.
(d) increases because the level of savings will fall.
Answer: (c) increases to compensate the firm for the current consumption foregone.
15. Capacity utilisation
(a) is usually near 100 percent.
(b) represents the percent of the labour force that is employed.
(c) is a measure of the proportional of the existing capital stock used for current production.
(d) rises as the economy moves into a recession, since firms must replace unemployed workers with some other resources to maintain production.
Answer: (c) is a measure of the proportional of the existing capital stock used for current production.
16. How many times was the Preamble of the Constitution amended ?
(a) Three times
(b) Two times
(d) Not amended
Answer: (c) Once
17. An ordinance issued by Governor is subject to approval by
(a) The President
(b) The State Legislature
(c) The State Council of Ministers
(d) The Parliament
Answer: (b) The State Legislature
18. Which rebellion in Bengal was highlighted by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee in his novel 'Anand Math' ?
(a) Chaur Uprising
(b) Sanyasi Rebellion
(c) Kol Uprising
(d) Santhal Uprising
Answer: (b) Sanyasi Rebellion
19. Name the Greek Ambassador at the Mauryan Court.
Answer: (b) Megasthanese
20. When the rule of the Delhi Sultan began ?
(a) 1106 A.D.
(b) 1206 A.D.
(c) 1306 A.D.
(d) 1406 A.D.
Answer: (b) 1206 A.D.
21. Who introduced leather token currency in India ?
Answer: (b) Mohammad-Bin-Tughlaq
22. When did the Constituent Assembly adopt National Anthem ?
(a) 25th January 1950
(b) 26th January 1950
(c) 24th January 1950
(d) 29th January 1950
Answer: (c) 24th January 1950
23. The President of India is an integral part of the
(a) The Parliament
(b) The Lok Sabha
(c) Rajya Sabha
(d) Council of Ministers
Answer: (a) The Parliament
24. Union Public Service Commission has to submit the report to the
(c) Lok Sabha
(d) Rajya Sabha
Answer: (a) President
25. The area which is resistant to any massive structural transformation is called
(a) rigid mass
(b) ancient landmass
(c) tectonic plate
Answer: (d) shield
26. Llanos are the grasslands of
(a) Guyana Highlands
(b) Brazillian Highlands
Answer: (a) Guyana Highlands
27. The areas marked by internal drainage
Answer: (b) Plains
28. The space retaining life in any form is called
Answer: (b) Biosphere
29. Rhizobium is a kind of
(a) Photosynthetic bacteria
(b) Symbiotic bacteria
(c) Parasitic bacteria
(d) Saprophytic bacteria
Answer: (b) Symbiotic bacteria
30. Who was the contemporary South Indian ruler of Harshavardhana ?
(b) Pulakeshin II
(d) Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar
Answer: (b) Pulakeshin II
31. Nappe is a kind of
(a) fluvial feature
(b) folded structure
(c) erosional plain
(d) delta region
Answer: (b) folded structure
32. The Panama Canal is different from the Suez Canal as it has
(a) Lock system
(b) Shorter route
(c) Busy route
(d) Less busy route
Answer: (a) Lock system
33. The best example of Polyembryony is
Answer: (c) Citrus
34. A moving neutron collides with with a stationary α-particle. The fraction of the kinetic energy lost by the neutron is
Answer: (d) 16/25
35. Which of these waves can be polarized ?
(a) Sound waves in air
(b) Longitudinal waves on a string
(c) Transverse waves on a string
(d) Light waves
Answer: (d) Light waves
36. The unit of Planck's constant is
(b) Jsⁿ, where n = -2
Answer: (a) Js
37. If a wire of resistance R is melted and recast to half of its length, then the new resistance of the wire will be
Answer: (a) R/4
38. Hard copies can be obtained from
Answer: (c) Printer
39. A Parenchyma cell which stores ergastic substance is known as
Answer: (b) Idioblast
40. Root Hairs arise from
Answer: (c) Epidermis
41. The gametophyte is called prothallus in
Answer: (a) Pteridophyta
42. A non-electronic conductor is
(b) Gas Carbon
(c) Copper Sulphate
Answer: (d) Mercury
43. Which of the following will replace hydrogen from acids to form salts ?
Answer: (b) Na
44. Which type of lake in formed by volcanic activities ?
(b) Fresh water lake
(c) Cladera lake
(d) Karst lake
Answer: (c) Cladera lake
45. Green manure is obtained from
(a) Domestic vegetable waste
(b) Oil seed husk cakes
(c) Fresh animal excreta
(d) Decomposing green legume plants
Answer: (a) Domestic vegetable waste
46.The environment includes
(a) Abiotic factors
(b) Biotic factors
(c) Oxygen and Nitrogen
(d) Abiotic and Biotic factors
Answer: (d) Abiotic and Biotic factors
47. The temperate grasslands of North America are known as
Answer: (d) Prairies
48. In an E-R diagram, ellipse represents
Answer: (c) fields
49. Chemical name of common salt is
(a) Sodium Chloride
(b) Sodium Bicarbonate
(d) Sodium Oxide
Answer: (a) Sodium Chloride
50. Which one of the following mineral does not contain oxygen ?
Answer: (c) Cryolite