1. In 1906 a earthquake (a)/ destroyed much (b)/ of San Francisco. (c)/ No error (d)
Answer : (a) In 1906 a earthquake
2. His parents does not (a)/ approve of (b)/ his business. (c)/ No error (d)
Answer : (a) His parents does not
Answer : (b) not only equipped with
4. The lovers walked (a)/ beside each other (b)/ in silence. (c)/ No error (d)
Answer : (d) No error
5. Men are wanted (a)/ for the army (b)/ and the navy, and the air force. (c)/ No error (d)
Answer : (c) and the navy, and the air force.
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-10) Sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four.
6. China is a big country, in area it is bigger than any country ……….Russia.
Answer : (b) except
7. The masks worn by the men helped them ……….their identity.
Answer : (a) conceal
8. On the ……….occasion of Laxmi Puja the Mathurs bought a new car.
Answer : (b) auspicious
9. Precautions are to be taken with anyone who seems……….
Answer : (b) infectious
10. The treasure was hidden………. a big shore.
Answer : (b) underneath
Directions (Q. Nos. 11-15) Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Answer : (b) Despise
Answer : (a) Tragedy
Answer : (a) Renounce
Answer : (b) Measure
Answer : (c) Flexible
Directions (Q. Nos. 16-20) Choose- the word opposite in meaning to the given word.
Answer : (b)
Answer : (d)
Answer : (b)
Answer : (b)
Answer : (a)
Directions (Q. Nos. 21-25) Four alternatives are given for the idiom/phrase underlined in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
21. We must work with all our might and main, otherwise we cannot succeed.
(a) full force
(b) complete trust
(c) exceptional skill
(d) full unity
Answer : (a) full force
22. The sailors nailed their colours to their mast.
(a) put up a colourful mast
(b) refused to climb down
(c) took over the ship
(d) decided to abandon the ship
Answer : (b) refused to climb down
23. We had (had) better batten down the hatches. The weather is unpredictable.
(a) stay in-door
(b) prepare for a difficult situation
(c) go somewhere safe
(d) face the obstacles
Answer : (b) prepare for a difficult situation
24. It is difficult to have a sensible discussion with her as she flies off at a tangent.
(a) gets carried away
(b) starts discussing something irrelevant
(c) loses her temper easily
(d) does not really understand anything
Answer : (b) starts discussing something irrelevant
25. The students found it hard to go at equal speed with the professor.
(a) get away from
(b) put up with
(c) keep up with
(d) race against
Answer : (c) keep up with