- The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana will be supported with the total financial outlay of Rs 1969.50 crore for the period 2018-19 to 2023-24.
- Under the scheme funds have been allocated for supporting 12 Commercial projects, 10 Demonstration Projects:
Phase-II (2018-19 to 2022-23) Remaining 6 Commercial and 5 demonstration projects will be supported.
- The objective of the scheme is to create an ecosystem for setting up commercial projects and boost to Research and Development in 2G Ethanol sector.
- Apart from supplementing the targets envisaged by the Government under EBP programme, the scheme will also have the following benefits:
(b) Achieving the GHG emissions reduction targets through progressive blending/ substitution of fossil fuels.
(c) Addressing environment concerns caused due to burning of biomass/ crop residues & improve health of citizens.
(d) Improving farmer income by providing them remunerative income for their otherwise waste agriculture residues.
(e) Creating rural & urban employment opportunities in 2G Ethanol projects and Biomass supply chain.
(f) Contributing to Swacch Bharat Mission by supporting the aggregation of nonfood biofuel feedstocks such as waste biomass and urban waste.
(g) Indigenizing of Second Generation Biomass to Ethanol technologies.
- The ethanol produced by the scheme beneficiaries will be mandatorily supplied to Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to further enhance the blending percentage under EBP Programme.
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has targeted to achieve 10% blending percentage of Ethanol in petrol by 2022. Despite efforts of the Government such as higher ethanol prices and simplification of ethanol purchase system, the highest ever ethanol procurement stands around 150 crore litres during Ethanol supply year 2017-18 which is sufficient for around 4.22% blending on Pan India basis. Therefore, an alternate route viz. Second Generation (2G) Ethanol from biomass and other wastes is being explored by MoP&NG to bridge the supply gap for EBP programme. In this direction, "Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana" is being launched as a tool to create 2G Ethanol capacity in the country and attract investments in this new sector.