(a) Baltic Sea
(b) Black Sea
(c) Caribbean Sea
(d) Caspian Sea
Answer: (a) Baltic Sea
(c) South America
(d) South-East Asia
Answer: (b) Australia
3. Among the following cities, which one is nearest to the tropic of cancer?
Answer: (b) Kolkata
4. Which one of the following countries is land locked?
Answer: (a) Bolivia
5. Life expectancy is the highest in the world in :
Answer: (c) Japan
6. In which one of the following countries, is Tamil a major language?
Answer: (d) Singapore
7. For which one of the following, is Satara well known?
(a) Thermal Power Plant
(b) Wind Energy Plant
(c) Hydroelectric Plant
(d) Nuclear Power Plant
Answer: (a) Thermal Power Plant
8. Gandhi Sager Dam is a part of which one of the following?
(a) Chambal project
(b) Kosi project
(c) Damodar Valley project
(d) Bhakra Nangal project
Answer: (a) Chambal project
9. In which one of the following oceans Diamantine Trench situated?
(a) Pacific ocean
(b) Atlantic ocean
(c) Indian ocean
(d) Arctic ocean
Answer: (c) Indian ocean
10. In which state is the Guru Shikhar Peak located?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: (a) Rajasthan
11. Which one of the following planets has largest number of natural satellites or Moons?
Answer: (a) Jupiter
12. Which one of the following rivers does not originate in India?
Answer: (d) Satluj
13. Contour bunding is a method of soil conservation used in :
(a) desert margins, liable to strong wind action
(b) low flat plains, close to stream courses, liable to flooding
(c) scrublands, liable to spread to weed growth
(d) None of the above
Answer: (d) None of the above
Explanation: Contour bunding is a method of soil conservation, in which stones are placed along the contours of slopes. In case of a rainstorm water is thus prevented from eroding the soil by giving it time to settle into the soil.
14. Variations in the length of day time and night time from season to season are due to :
(a) the Earth's rotation on its axis
(b) the Earth's revolution round the Sun is an elliptical manner
(c) latitudinal position of the place
(d) revolution of the Earth on a tilted axis
Answer: (d) revolution of the Earth on a tilted axis
15. The approximate age of the Aravallis range is :
(a) 370 million years
(b) 470 million years
(c) 570 million years
(d) 670 million years
Answer: (a) 370 million years
16. Mekong Ganga cooperation project is :
(a) an irrigation project involving India and Myanmar
(b) a joint tourism initiative of some Asian countries
(c) a hydroelectric power project involving India, Bangladesh and Myanmar
(d) a defence and security agreement of India with its Eastern neighbours
Answer: (b) a joint tourism initiative of some Asian countries
17. If the stars are seen to rise perpendicular to the horizon by an observer, he is located on the :
(b) tropic of cancer
(c) South pole
(d) North pole
Answer: (a) equator
18. Who amongst the following was the first to state that the Earth was spherical?
Answer: (a) Aristotle
19. The thermal power plant of Bokaro is located in :
Answer: (c) Jharkhand
20. Amongst the following Indian states which one has the minimum total forest cover?
Answer: (c) Haryana