Various religious movements like Buddhism, Jainism etc. were born and grew up in the Post-Vedic Period known as the Period of Second Urbanisation or the age of Buddha.
Causes of Religious Movements
- The vedic philosophy had lost its original purity.
- Causes were generated by the division of the society on the verna basis.
- The vedic religions had become very complex and had degenerated into superstitions, dogmas and rituals.
- Supremacy of the Brahmans created unrest in the society and Kshatriyas reacted against the Brahmanical domination.
- Introduction of a new agricultural economy in the Eastern India.