Compendium - Polity
1. The Panchayati Raj is based on the principle of :
- Democratic decentralization
2. What is the example of direct democracy?
- Gram Sabha
3. In India, Public Accounts Committee consists of total members,
- 15 from Lok Sabha and 7 from Rajya Sabha
4. Who administers the oath to the Speaker Pro Tem the Lok Sabha?
- The President of India
5. The Member of Rajya Sabha are elected for a term of :
- Six years
6. The states of Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya were formed in :
- The year 1979
7. The highest law officer in the state is :
- Advocate General
8. The Administrative Head of the Cabinet Secretariat is :
- Cabinet Secretary
9. Joint meetings of two or more Zonal council are presided over by :
- Union Home Minister
10. The Supreme Court of India enunciated the doctrine of 'Basic Structure' of the Constitution in the :
- Keshvanand Bharti case in 1973
11. Lame-duck Session of Parliament means :
- The last session of Parliament before the dissolution of the Lok Sabha
12. Which is the most important reason to consider India as the secular State?
- Minority religions are given special protection
13. Doctrine, that the 'Fundamental Rights' cannot be amended under Article 368, was propounded by the Supreme Court in :
- Golaknath Vs. State of Punjab case
14. Under which Article of the Constitution can the President of India be impeached?
- Article 61
15. The ideas of Directive Principles of State Policy in the Constitution of India has been borrowed from :
- The Irish Constitution
16. The President can dismiss a member of the council of minister :
- on the recommendation of the Prime Minister
17. Who interprets the Constitution?
18. Which is the competent body to prescribes conditions for acquisition of citizenship?
19. Which two states have equal seats in the House of people?
- Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal
20. Who makes appointments to All India Services?
- The President of India
21. Who was appointed as the 'Constitutional Advisor' to the Constitution Assembly?
- Sir B.N. Rau
22. Who was the chairman of the 'Union Constitution Committee' in the Constituent Assembly?
- Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru
23. Panchayati Raj received constitutional status with the:
- 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act
24. Which article of the Constitution of India emphasises cottage industries on an individual or cooperation basis in rural areas?
- Article 43
25. The feature of 'Joint sitting of the two Houses of Parliament' in the Indian Constitution is inspired from the:
- Australian Constitution
26. Which Article deals with the power of President to consult the Supreme Court?
- Article 143
27. The concept of 'Single citizenship' in the Indian Constitution is inspired from:
- British Constitution
28. Who drafted the Indian Constitution?
- Constituent Assembly
30. Who was the chairman of the Constituent Assembly?
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad
31. Who was the Chairman of the Drafting Committee?
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
32. When was the Constitution adopted?
- 26th November 1949
33. When did the Constitution come into force?
- 26th January 1950
34. Which State of the Indian Union has a separate Constitution?
- Jammu and Kashmir
35. When was the Indian Citizenship Act passed?
36. Into how many categories are the Indian citizens divided?
- Indian citizens are divided into two categories—citizens by birth and citizens by adoption
37. What Article of the Constitution forbids use of titles or honor conferred by foreign states?
- Article 18
38. In what chapter of the Constitution and in what Articles are the Directive principles of the Constitution given?
- In chapter IV Articles 35-51 the directive principle of the constitution are given
39. What directive is based on a Gandhian ideal?
- Article 45 of the constitution directs the state to promote and foster Panchayeti Raj in India.
40. What is the other name of India given in the Constitution and in what Article?
- India is also called Bharat in Article of the constitution.
41. Through how many lists powers have been distributed between the Union and the States in India? Name them.
- The Indian constitution distributes powers between the union and the states through three lists, the Union list, the State list and the Concurrent list.
42. Name four important subjects in the Union list?
- Defence, Foreign relations, Citizenship and Banking
43. Name four important subjects in State list?
- (i) Land Revenue, (ii) Law and order, (iii) Local government, (iv) Education up to the secondary level.
44. Mention two taxes the proceeds of which are divided between the union and the state governments.
- Non-agricultural income tax and excise duties except on cosmetics and medicines
45. Mention four subjects on which the state government may impose taxes.
- (i) sales tax, (ii) land revenue, (iii) amusement tax and taxes on (iv) transportation
46. What Article of the Constitution confers right to constitutional remedies?
- Article 32
47. What Articles of the Constitutions confer right to freedom of religion?
- Articles 25 to 28
48. The procedure of election of members of Rajya Sabha has been taken from:
- South African Constitution
49. Which writ is issued by a higher court to a lower court of tribunal to prevent the latter from exceeding its jurisdiction?
50. How the Indian Constitution seeks to protect children against exploitation?
- Articles 24 of the constitution forbids employment of children in factories, mines, or in hazardous works.