Compendium - World History
1. What was the name of the ship on which the Pilgrims travelled to North America in 1620?
- The Mayflower
2. What was the name of the English farmer who invented the seed-planting drill in 1701?
- Jethro Tull
3. In which year was Nelson Mandela released from prison?
4. What was the name of the world's first man-made satellite launched by the USSR in 1957?
- Sputnik I
5. Which country gained its independence from Denmark in 1944?
6. In which year did French Queen Marie Antoinette go the guillotine?
7. Who became US president after Herbert Hoover?
- Franklin D Roosevelt (1933)
8. French King Louis XIV (1638-1715) was the longest reigning European monarch - how long
did he reign?
- 72 years (from 1643-1715)
9. Who in 1963 murdered Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin (according to official accounts) of
US President John F Kennedy?
- Jack Ruby
10. The Kiel Canal in Germany, officially opened in 1895, connects which two seas?
- North Sea and Baltic Sea (it is apparently the world's busiest artificial waterway)
11. Which rebellion broke out in 1816 and continued till 1832?
12. Who published 'Uddant Martand' form Kolkata?
- Pandit Jugal Kishore
13. Who led the Salt Satyagrah Movement with Gandhiji?
- Sarojini Naidu
14. Against whom was Lala Lajpat Rai demonstrating when he succumbed to police brutality?
- Simon Commission
15. Simon Commission visited India after the :
- Non-Cooperation Movement
16. The title given by the British Government which he surrender during the Non-cooperation Movement was:
17. Lord Linlithgow described the Quit India Movement as :
- the most serious revolt after sepoy mutiny
18. The Father of Muslim Renaissance in Bengal was :
- Ameer Ali
19. Who was the first President of All India Trade Union Congress?
- Lala Lajpat Rai
20. An anti British outfit 'Abhinava Bharat' was founded by :
- V.D. Savarkar
21. Who started the newspaper Shome Prakash ?
- Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
22. Which Indian leader was dismissed by the British from the Indian Civil Service?
- Surenderanath Banerji
23. When was Bengal re-united due to the protest by Indians ?
24. Who was the mastermind of bomb attack on Lord Hardinge ?
- Rasbehari Bose
25. Santhals were associated with :
- Tribal Reballion
26. Who called Subhash Chandra Bose as Desh Nayak ?
- Rabindranath Tegore
27. The East India Association was set up in :
- 1866 by Dadabhai Naoroji
28. Who established the Hindu Dharma Sangrakshini Sabha in the year 1893 ?
- Damodar and Balkrishna Chapekar
29. The Rowlatt Act was passed in :
- The year 1919
30. Who was the first Indian lady to preside over the Congress ?
- Annie Besant
31. Which Viceroy was assassinated during his tenure ?
- Lord Mayo
32. The first President of Indian National Congress was :
- Sir Wyomesh Chandra Banerjee
33. Who founded Satya Shodhak Samaj in 1873 ?
- Jyotiba Phule
34. The year which is associated with the Gadar Movement is :
35. Who established East India Association in London 1866 ?
- Dadabhai Naoroji
36. Who founded Abhinav Bharat ?
- V.D. Savarkar
37. Who played an important role in the Gadar Movement in 1915 ?
- Lala Hardayal
38. The National College in Calcutta had been established on :
- August 14, 1906
39. The Queen Victoria assumed the title of the Emprress of India in 1876 by :
- The Royal Titles Act passed by British Parliament in 1876
40. Lala Lajpat Rai was also known as :
41. In 1624 what was purchased from the local inhabitant Native Americans by the Dutch for a reported sum of $24?
- Manhattan Island
42. Which former Prime Minister of India was assassinated in 1991 as he campaigned for re-
- Rajiv Gandhi
43. Which New York hotel was designed by Henry Hardenbergh in 1897?
44. What date is France's Bastille Day?
- 14th July
45. In what year did India and Pakistan become independent nations and free from British rule?
- 1947 (15 August India, and 14 August Pakistan)
46. Which planet was discovered by William Herschel 1781?
47. In 1926, 19 year-old Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to do what?
- Swim the English Channel
48. In what year, generally regarded as marking the end of the Cold War, did the Berlin Wall come down?
- 1989 (9 November)
49. Which calendar was devised in 1582?
- Gregorian Calendar (by Aloysius Lilius - it is the calendar that most of the world uses today)
50. British publisher Ludvik Hoch was better known by which name?
- Robert Maxwell