Compendium - Geography
1. Maharashtrian Plateau is made up of:
2. Which is the main difference between the Western and Eastern Ghats?
3. The new alluvial deposits found in the Gangetic plain are known as:
4. A rift valley is formed mainly due to:
- the subsidence of the floor of a river valley
5. What do you understand by the term 'Doab' ?
- Land between two tributaries of a river
6. In which State is the Guru Shikhar Peak located?
7. The hill range that separates the state of Manipur from the state of Nagaland is known
- Barail hills
8. Which State has the largest coastline in India?
9. The northern part of the west coast is known as:
- Konkan coast
10. The Eastern Coast of India is known as:
- Coromandal Coast
11. Lakshadweep Islands are the product of:
- Reef formation
12. Most Indians belong to the group:
13. The oldest inhabitants of India are considered to be:
14. The most urbanised community in India is that of the:
15. What separates Daman and Diu?
- Gulf of Khambat
16. Port Blair is situated in:
- South Andaman
17. Lakshadweep is a group of how many islands?
18. The Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli lies between which of the states of India?
- Gujarat and Maharashtra
19. The 'Chilka lake region' lies in between the deltas of:
- Mahanadi and Godavari
20. By what name is the Ganga known in Bangladesh?
21. Which of the following rivers is known as 'Vridha Ganga'?
22. The Tibetan river 'Tsangpo' enters India through the State of:
- Arunachal Pradesh
23. The highest waterfall in India is:
24. In which state is Jog Falls located?
25. The Sivasamudram Falls is on:
26. Wular lake of Kashmir is a:
- Lake formed by terminal morainic dam
27. The second largest river basin in India is of the river:
28. The second largest basin in Peninsular India is:
- Krishna Basin
29. The port especially developed for exporting iron ore to Japan is:
30. Which Indian state is known as 'Land of Five Rivers' ?
31. The biggest lake in India is:
- Chilka Lake
32. Which are the west-flowing rivers of southern Indian which flow into Arabian Sea?
- Narmada and Tapti
33. Which of the following rivers joins Ganga at Allahabad?
34. Which one of the following lakes in India has the highest water salinity?
35. Winter rains in North and North-West India are generally associated with the
- local thunderstorms
36. Where is pearl fishing well developed in India?
- Off the coast at Rameshwaram
37. The soil formed by the deposition of silt brought by rivers is:
- Alluvial soil
38. The soil which is a mixture of sand, clay and silt is known as:
- Loamy soil
39. Which one of the following places ranks second among the coldest places in the world?
- Dras (Jammu and Kashmir)
40. Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Orissa often face natural disasters due to:
41. The driest place in India is :
42. Rana Pratap Sagar Plant (Rajasthan) is associated with:
43. Ankaleshwar in India is known for the production of:
44. Which major latitude passes at the south of the southernmost point of peninsular India, that is kanyakumari?
45. The pass located at the southern end of the Nilgiri Hills in south India is called?
- Palghat gap
46. The India's higest annual rainfall is reported at ?
- Mawsynram, Meghalaya
47. Who is known as "Father of white Revolution" in India?
- V. Kurien
48. Which year is called a Great Divide in the demographic history in India?
49. Three important rivers of the India subcontinent have their sources near the Mansarover Lake in the Great Himalayas.
- Brahmaputra, Indus and Sutlej
50. The oldest rocks in India are reported from:
- Dharwar region, Karnataka