Compendium - General Science
1. Other name of “FOOL’S GOLD” is:
- Iron Pyrite
2. Non-stick coating in utensils is of:
3. Name the Compounds responsible for temporary hardness of water.
- Bicarbonates of Calcium and Magnesium
4. Name the Compounds responsible for permanent hardness of water.
- Sulphates and Chlorides of Calcium and Magnesium
5. Name the Gases used for ripening raw fruits?
- Ethylene & Acetylene
6. Main ore of Mercury is:
7. Water soluble Vitamins are:
- B & C
8. Fat Soluble Vitamins are:
- A, D, E & K
9. Which agent is as ‘seed’ in artificial rain?
- Silver Iodide
10. Oxides of metals are:
11. During the process of ‘rusting’ , the weight of iron:
12. ______ (metal) is liquid at room temperature.
13. Which acid is used in soft drinks?
- Carbonic acid
14. Which acid is present in Bee Sting?
- Methanoic Acid
15. Tooth enamel is made up of ______ .
- Calcium Phosphate
16. What is used to avoid melting of ice?
17. How many bones are present in human skull?
18. Which lobe of human brain is associated with hearing?
- Temporal Lobe
19. Upper most layer of skin is called :
20. Motor skills are associated with which part of the brain?
- Frontal Lobes
21. What is the working principle of Washing machine?
22. Insects can move on the surface of water without sinking due to:
- Surface tension of water
23. The temperature of the sun is measured with ___.
24. Acceleration acts always in the direction______.
- Of the net force
25. The metal present in the haemoglobin is __ .
26. Which mosquito is the carrier of Zika virus?
27. Name the gas used for making vegetable ghee?
28. Which part of brain is centre of thirst, hunger and sleep?
29. Which regulates the quantum of light entering the human eye?
30. DNA stands for:
- Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid
31. Which instrument is used to measure altitudes in aircrafts ?
32. Which is used in designing ships and submarines?
- Archimedes Principle
33. Which instrument is used to measure change in volume of substances ?
34. On which principle , transformer works?
- Mutual Induction
35. Potential energy of your body is minimum when you _______.
- Lie down on ground
36. Which catalyst is used for the synthesis of Vanaspati Ghee?
- Nickle (Ni)
37. Which catalyst is used for the synthesis of Sulphuric Acid by Contact Process?
- Platinum (Pt)
38. Chemical name of Picric Acid is:
- Tri Nitro Phenol
39. Nail polish remover contains?
40. Which acid is present in Orange?
- Citric Acid
41. Which enzyme is present in all members of the animal kingdom except Protozoa?
42. Which is known as graveyard of RBC’s ?
43. Which disease is caused by the bite of a mad dog?
44. What is the normal cholesterol level in human blood?
- 180-200 mg/dL
45. Who was the first to isolate Gene?
- Dr. Hargobind Khurana
46. Which cell organelles function as the power house of a living cell?
47. Nobel Prize winning scientist James D. Watson is known for his work in which area?
48. What is the Branch of science which deals with the study of skin of man?
49. Which test helps in diagnosis of cancer?
- Biopsy Test
50. Which major chemical compound found in human kidney stones?
- Calcium oxalate