Compendium - General Science
1. Which organism is used in production of alcohol?
2. What is meant by biopsy?
- Biochemical and histological examination of tissues cut from living body
3. Among the various allotropes of carbon :
- diamond is the hardest, graphite is the softest
4. We feel thirsty when :
- Osmotic pressure of blood increase
5. Light is a :
- Transverse waves
6. Short circuit means :
- Direct flow of current between two points of different potential
7. The term octane number is related to :
8. When an iron nail gets rusted, iron oxide is formed :
- with increase in the weight of the nail
9. Galvanished iron sheets have a coating of :
10. Bromine is a :
- red liquid
11. Pure water is a bad conductor of electricity because it is :
- Feebly ionized
12. Who invented chloroform as anaesthetic?
- James Simpson
13. Which country has become first to pass Climate Act?
14. Which metal pollutes the air of a big city ?
15. Water gas is prepared by passing :
- Steam over white hot coke
16. Milk is an example of :
17. 'Rosatom' is the atomic energy agency of :
18. Who won the Noble prize for his work on Photoelectric effect?
- Albert Einstein
19. In the electrical circuit of a house the fuse is used as :
- A safety device
20. The bacterium responsible for causing plague is :
- Yersinia Pestis
21. A flourescent tube is preferred to an electric bulb because :
- In a tube electrical energy is almost fully converted to light.
22. The strongest muscle in human body is found in :
23. The pulse in the human wrist beats :
- At the same rate as the heart
24. Chlorination is a process used for :
- Water purification
25. In which industry is mica used as a raw material ?
- Electrical Industry
26. Hydrophobia is caused by Virus :
27. The substance used for artificial rain is :
- Silver Iodide
28. The least distance of distinct vision is :
29. Red light is used as danger signal because it :
- Is scattered least
30. Which type of light are strongly absorbed by plants ?
- Indigo and Yellow
31. What is the source of electric energy in an artificial satellite?
- Solar cell
32. Which metal remains in liquid form under normal condition?
33. When a green leaf is seen in red light, its colour will be:
34. Which one in automobile exhausts can cause cancer?
- Carbon monoxide
35. Water is good solvent of ionic salts because:
- It has a high dipole moment
36. The gas usually filled in the electric bulb is :
- Mixture of Nitrogen and Argon
37. Washing soda is the common name for :
- Sodium carbonate
38. Bromine is a :
- red liquid
39. The hardest substance available on earth is :
40. Carbon dioxide is called greenhouse gas because :
- Its absorbs infrared radiation
41. Which is the lightest metal ?
42. X-rays were discovered by :
43. Sodium metal is kept in :
44. Who invented Ball-point pen ?
- C.Biro in 1938
45. The basic structural and functional unit of life is :
46. The universal blood group donor for all group is :
- Blood Group O
47. Hertz is the unity of :
48. World Television Day is observed on :
- 21st November
49. Steel is mainly alloy of :
- Iron and Carbon
50. Farad is measuring unit of :
- Electrical Capacitance