Compendium - Computer Awareness
1. A program that performs a useful task while simultaneously allowing destructive acts is:
- Trojan Horse
2. The geometric arrangement of devices on the network is called:
3. The basic goal of computer process is to convert data into:
4. Where are the CPU and memory located?
5. Who is known as the founder of IBM Company?
- Thomas J. Watson
6. An image on a computer screen is made up of:
7. Full form of MAN ?
- Metropolitan Area Network
8. Which command in DOS can be used to recover accidentally deleted files?
9. A computer program that converts an entire program into machine language atone time is called:
10. In which year, the Microsoft company was founded?
11. What is the personal computer operating system that organizes and uses a graphic desktop environment?
12. What are Light pen and joystick ?
- Input Devices
13. What is a half byte also called as?
14. SMPS stands for:
- Switched Mode Power Supply
15. What do we use to change the appearance and positioning of text document in MSWord?
16. A ________ is approximately a million bytes?
17. Daisy wheel, Drum, chain etc are the:
18. XML stands for:
- Extensible Markup Language
19. What kind of scheme is the HTTP protocol?
20. Magnetic disk is an example of:
- Secondary Memory
21. ASCII stands for:
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange
22. Second Generation computers were developed during:
23. When did arch rivals IBM and Apple Computers Inc. decide to join hands?
24. What kind of memory is both static and non - volatile?
25. An error in software or hardware is called a bug. What is the alternative computer jargon for it?
26. Unwanted repetitious messages, such as unsolicited bulk e-mail is known as:
27. The common name for the crime of stealing passwords is:
28. BIOS stands for:
- Basic Input Output System
29. Who is regarded as Father of “C‘ programming language?
- Dennis Ritchie
30. RAM can be treated as the ……… for the computer’s processor.
- Waiting Room
31. Computers manipulate data in many ways, and this manipulation is called:
32. A ____ works like an upside-down mouse.
33. The ability to recover and read deleted or damaged files from a criminal’s computer is an example of a law enforcement speciality called__?
- Computer Forensics
34. Where does most data go first with in a computer memory hierarchy?
35. Help Menu is available at which button?
36. Which file contains permanent data and gets updated during the processing of transactions?
- Master File
37. A DVD is an example of an:
- Optical Disc
38. Which is most common tool used to restrict access to computer system?
39. The technology that stores only essential instructions on a microprocessor chip and thus enhances its speed is referred as:
40. What is the name of an application program that gathers user information and sends it to someone through the Internet?
41. Line access and avoidance of collision are the main functions of:
- Network protocols
42. Transfer of data from one application to another line is known as:
- Dynamic Data Exchange
43. A compiler is used to convert the following to object code which can be executed:
- High-level language
44. GIF stands for:
- Graphics Interchange Format
45. A Personal Computer uses a number of chips mounted on a circuit board called:
- Mother Board
46. A hard disk is divided into tracks which is further subdivided into:
47. A computer program that translates a program statement by statement into machine languages is called a/an:
48. An unsolicited e-mail massage sent to many recipient at once is a:
49. Server is also known as:
- Back end
50. POP is _____.
- Mail protocol